About the PMI
Central Virginia Chapter
Our Chapter was formed in October 1996 with 25 members.
To serve the professional interests of chapter members by enhancing expertise through project management education and training, supporting PMI® certifications, and promoting association with other project management professionals.
To be the premier professional project management organization for business, civic, government, and education communities in Central Virginia.
Advance the mission and objectives of PMI® within the Central Virginia area.
Develop a growing and committed membership of local Project Management Professionals through an ongoing recruiting plan.
Promote Professional Project Management principles and techniques with local businesses, universities and professional associations.
Support and enhance Project Management Professionalism by developing and providing quality programs based on local Project Manager/Leaders/Participants needs.
Create and deliver an educational program that strengthens local Project Managers', Leaders', and Participants' skills and supports the PMI® Certification Program.
- We conduct monthly Chapter Meetings each year in Richmond, Virginia. We have partnered with the Washington DC chapter to support Chapter meetings in the Quantico / Stafford area, and continue to look at opportunities to support our more remote members. Our members attend from as far away as Fredericksburg, Williamsburg, Petersburg/Hopewell, and Charlottesville. The membership represents a broad spectrum of industries, non-profit organizations, public utilities, and government agencies (Federal, State and Local). We welcome you to attend if you are in the area as a PMI member or a prospective member.
- We publish a newsletter. Copies of our recent newsletters can also be viewed on this website.
- We conduct certification workshops for project managers who are interested in obtaining their PMI certifications. Visit our Certification page for information on upcoming workshops.
- We have an active Professional Development Committee that conducts seminars and connects with the Central Virginia community for development opportunities. Visit our Professional Development page for more details.
- We provide PMI® information. If you would like more information on PMI, PMP certification, or the PMI Central Virginia Chapter, please contact us. We will be pleased to visit your company or organization and make a presentation to your Project Managers and Management Team.
- Our Chapter was formed in October 1996 with 25 members.
- The Central Virginia Chapter was awarded the 1998 National PMI® Chapter Member Growth Achievement Award for Region II at the Council of Chapter Presidents Leadership meeting in Long Beach, California in October 1998. PMI’s Region II includes all chapters in the United States east of the Mississippi River. We are quite proud of our accomplishment but we are not resting on our laurels.
- At the end of October, 2000, membership had grown to 392 members, of which 71 were Project Management Professionals (PMP®).
- In 2001 we celebrated our five-year anniversary and grew to 455 members!
- In this same year, we earned two awards from the International PMI organization:
- 2001 PMI Chapter of the Year Award (1-4 Years) and
- 2001 PMI Chapter Professional Development Award for Exceptional Activities
- In September of 2002, we surpassed the membership milestone of 500 members. Rose Anne Brankley of Trigon (now WellPoint/Anthem) was proclaimed as our 500th Chapter member at our Chapter meeting celebration.
- Our Chapter experienced exponential growth in 2003 and 2004. By the end of 2004, membership had grown to 845 members, a whopping 25.4% growth rate for the year. We also had 377 PMPs in the Chapter, 44.6% of the membership!
- In May 2005, we reached our 1,000 chapter members milestone. We had tripled in membership in just over four years. Our members range from north of Stafford to as far south as Hopewell. The 1,000 Member Celebration was a special event open free to all members held in February 2006.
- To better support our large PMI® Chapter, the Board expanded services in 2006:
- Established up a second monthly Chapter meeting
- Hosted 4 Professional Development seminars of 6 PDUs each
- Conducted on-line elections of Board members
- In 2007, PMI CVC received PMI Global recognition and was awarded the PMI® Professional Development Provider of the Year Award, Component Category for its Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Workshop program, held twice a year. Our chapter growth flattened, with our membership at the end of 2007settling at 1299 members. We do, however, have 828 PMPs in the chapter (63.7% of our members). The chapter has continued to offer additional services providing:
- Our first full year of both Southside & West End chapter meetings
- Our 3rd Annual Golf tournament
- 5 Professional Development Seminars of 6 PDUs each
- A new Portfolio Management Office (PMO) Local Interest Group (LIG) venue
- And, our second on-line election of Board members.
The PMI-CVC Bylaws (2013) are approved by PMI® HQ and the Chapter Membership. They describe how PMI® CVC is governed and also provide details on the board positions. In accordance with the bylaws, board meetings are held monthly. All meeting minutes are available from this site.
We are always open to suggestions on how we can improve member services. Please contact The Chapter President to provide suggestions. Your ideas and input are greatly appreciated!