Roles and Responsibilities
The President is responsible for the overall functioning of the chapter, assuring that the chapter board works together as a
team, dedicated to achieving the chapter vision, mission and objectives as detailed in the chapter Charter.
The President will:
- Schedule, coordinate, provide agendas and preside over all Business and chapter meetings.
- Direct the activities of other officers toward chapter goals and objectives.
- Appoint Nominating Committee members by July 1 of each year to conduct chapter elections.
- Appoint replacement board members for vacant board positions
- Appoint committee and committee chairperson representatives to task teams as required and subject to the board's approval.
- Submit to PMI an annual application for charter renewal, pursuant to the chapter Policies & Procedures. (The VP-Treasury and Finance, the VP-Membership and the Immediate Past President will assist in supplying information for this document.)
- Direct preparation of chapter Annual Report and chapter Awards for submission to PMI Headquarters.
- Distribute chapter Annual Report to chapter Membership.
- Represent the chapter, or appoint appropriate alternate, at the PMI Global Leadership Meeting (Fall) meeting.
- Represent the chapter at bi-monthly Regional Chapter president conference calls.
- Represent the chapter at the annual Region 5 Leadership meeting held in January.
- Prepare documents for Commonwealth of Virginia annual incorporation renewal and coordinate incorporation activities with chapter attorneys.
- Prepare monthly status reports for presentation at chapter board meetings.
- Maintain and deliver all permanent records to the position successor as required.
- Prepare annual budget, track income and expense items, and report progress against the budget to the VP of Treasury & Finance.
- Coordinate with the President-Elect in the event of illness, business commitment, or other event that precludes short-term ability to carry out the responsibilities articulated above.
Important Qualifications or Skills
- Candidate must have at least two years prior experience on the Board (as a Vice President or a Director)
- Dedication to the organization
- Some public speaking; or at least to the degree of being comfortable chairing Board meetings and/or conducting business from the podium for dinner meetings
- Knowledge of the PMI CVC organization, GOC and component operations (this can be learned on the job)
- All of the usual soft skills required for a supervisory / management role